Saturday, April 3, 2010

Celebrating Cactus (and Native Foods)

[Click on the images for larger versions of the photographs]

Elsewhere in southern Arizona this spring there are showy wildflower displays, but in the little patch of Sonoran Desert I call home, we don't have carpets of Mexican Gold poppies or lupines. But I'm sure we'll have lots of cactus flowers this year, and to me that's even more beautiful. I went out today to get some pictures of prickly pears in bud--some of the buds produce flowers:
Others produce new pads (which in some types of prickly pear are harvested and eaten, known as nopalitos):
This year every prickly pear I saw had many, many buds, even plants that seemed as though they weren't going to live much longer.
The cholla are also in bud right now:
Ciolim - cholla buds are a traditional food of the Tohono O'odham people

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Edifice for the Unwanted" Sculpture at Tucson’s Los Reales Sustainability Campus Is an Artful Invitation to Learn About Our Landfill

  I live on the west side of Tucson near the section of Shannon Road that dead ends not far from a steep hill. Hiking websites say that the ...