Monday, April 6, 2009

Spring on Petrin Hill in Prague

Shoots are pushing up through the earth and buds are popping -- spring is coming to Petrin. On my daily walks I hear a lot of beautiful birdsong. Over the past week I've taken some pictures of birds I've spotted on the hill. This European robin (Erithacus rubecula) was singing his heart out:
Every morning at 5:00 and again in the evening around 7:00 I hear a male blackbird (Turdus merula) that sits on an adjoining roof and sings for hours. Today this female was too busy searching for worms to care that I was taking her picture:
And here's a nuthatch (Sitta europaea) that was climbing headfirst down a tree trunk:
Greg took this picture of a noisy, active Eurasian Jay (Garrulus glandarius):
There are a number of red squirrels in the park:
And just the other day I saw two different species of butterfly. Peacock butterflys (Inachis io) apparently spend the winter in buildings and trees, and I saw two of them on April 3:
I also saw several of these butterflies which I'm not able to identify:

2 comments:

  1. Alice, you have done a superb job of capturing the life, the shadows and enchantment of Petrin Hill and Prague. The architecture (of earlier postings) and wildlife are so unlike the Tucson desert and our modern world. I am intrigued by the spires, roundness of the church roof and maze of corners and angles where you live. And then there is that house of mirrors! You have portrayed a world of magic there that I can only dream of one day exploring. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

“Edifice for the Unwanted" Sculpture at Tucson’s Los Reales Sustainability Campus Is an Artful Invitation to Learn About Our Landfill

  I live on the west side of Tucson near the section of Shannon Road that dead ends not far from a steep hill. Hiking websites say that the ...