Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Leaving for Prague

The next time I post an entry in this blog, I'll be in Prague in the Czech Republic. The contrast between my Tucson, Arizona home and the temporary home I'll have in Prague is worth talking about. In Tucson I share a house near some beautiful desert land on the edge of the city. I use the bus and walk as often as possible, but it's difficult to live without a car here. In Prague I'll be living in an apartment in the city center and taking public transit every day. I'll also be dealing with colder weather, cloudier skies, a language barrier (my Czech is rudimentary at best), and a narrower range of vegetarian options. I look forward to commenting on what life is like there, but I do want to upload a few pictures of early spring in the desert before I go overseas.

This globemallow is growing in our back yard:


And here's a desert marigold that's growing in the front yard:

The birds are starting to build nests, and the doves are beginning to call again after being relatively silent in the winter. Here's a mourning dove resting on a dead tree branch:

And, pardon my rudeness, but this tiny and active verdin wouldn't allow himself to be photographed from a more elegant angle:


And though house finches are very common, they add a little color and cheer to the desert:

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Edifice for the Unwanted" Sculpture at Tucson’s Los Reales Sustainability Campus Is an Artful Invitation to Learn About Our Landfill

  I live on the west side of Tucson near the section of Shannon Road that dead ends not far from a steep hill. Hiking websites say that the ...