Saturday, April 12, 2008

Charlton Heston and Respect for Other Primates


Charlton Heston died recently, but instead of commenting on his NRA connections, I decided to remember his role in Planet of the Apes and recommend some respect for non-human primates. [Click on the image for a larger version of the cartoon. The text reads: 'My monkey Peanut and I went to Ceci's house to watch some old movies, and we heard that Charlton Heston was dead, and I said, "Well, we can finally pry the gun from his cold, dead hands," and Ceci laughed, and then she said, "But I did like some of his movies," and we started talking about Heston films, and Ceci seemed surprised when I said that Peanut hates the Planet of the Apes movies because they're so unrealistic, and she said, "What do you think about Soylent Green?" and I said, "It had global warming and food riots, so it was more believable than a movie about a place where the monkeys are in charge," and Ceci said, "Speaking of monkeys, I saw a program on TV that said they can grow up to be really aggressive -- remember when Paris Hilton's monkey bit her?" and I said, "Actually, it was a kinkajoo," and then I said Peanut and I had to go, but to be honest, I've been thinking the same thing lately, that Peanut isn't going to be too happy with me when he grows up, and he actually does like Planet of the Apes movies more than I would like to admit.']

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Edifice for the Unwanted" Sculpture at Tucson’s Los Reales Sustainability Campus Is an Artful Invitation to Learn About Our Landfill

  I live on the west side of Tucson near the section of Shannon Road that dead ends not far from a steep hill. Hiking websites say that the ...