Saturday, June 28, 2014

An Inconvenient Truth (for Some): Vegetarianism Cuts Your Carbon Footprint

Today a friend forwarded me a link from the Huffington Post: "Vegetarianism Cuts Your Dietary Carbon Footprint A Ridiculous Amount, Study Finds." According to a new report published in the journal Climatic Change, meat-eaters' dietary greenhouse gas emissions are twice as high as vegans'. "Reducing the intake of meat and other animal-based products can make a valuable contribution to climate change mitigation," the report concluded.

We vegans and vegetarians have actually known this for a long time. In 1990 I took a course called "Changing Global Climates." Though at that time there wasn't such a consensus among climate scientists that human activity was causing global warming (some said it was an artifact of taking temperatures in "urban heat islands"), I wrote a paper about how a vegetarian or vegan diet will reduce greenhouse gas emissions and found ample evidence to prove that point. What was true then is still true today. So why aren't more people vegans?

I don't think you have to look any further than the comments section that follows the Huffington Post article for the answer to that question. On commenter says, "The day I go vegan is the day the sun explodes."  Another says, "Guess that means I'll find some other way to balance out my personal carbon footprint cos there is no way I would ever, ever give up great big slabs of lovely grilled beef." Still another nastier commentator says, "Should just eat vegetarians..." There are also the people I call "vegetarian/vegan deniers," who tell us how long they were vegetarians/vegans and how awful it was and how much better they feel now that they eat meat -- "I am mentally sharper," says one.

I have been a vegetarian/vegan since 1986 for environmental and animal rights reasons. Just FYI, I feel fine. And though I have occasionally used milk products over that time, mostly I've been vegan, which is the way I eat now. You can find the recipe for this Beans and Greens dish here. You're welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment

“Edifice for the Unwanted" Sculpture at Tucson’s Los Reales Sustainability Campus Is an Artful Invitation to Learn About Our Landfill

  I live on the west side of Tucson near the section of Shannon Road that dead ends not far from a steep hill. Hiking websites say that the ...