Friday, May 22, 2009

Wildflowers in Petrin Park in Prague

[NOTE: You can click on any of these images for a larger version of the photograph.]

Petrin Park is now in full leaf, and all the blossoms have disappeared from the apple trees. I took this photo a few weeks ago when there were still a lot of lilacs blooming on the hill. The flowers make a nice backdrop for the statue of Czech poet Karel Hynek Macha. Notice that he's clutching a lilac bouquet, too:
Now the weather is summery -- humid and warm -- and I've been having trouble getting clear pictures of birds because there's so much foliage. So I decided to concentrate on the micro-view, and I found a small weedy patch and looked at wildflowers. This is, I think, a type of bladder campion (Silene vulgaris):
And this is meadow clary (Salvia pratensis):
I also saw a number of different types of columbine (Aquilegia vulgaris):
Busy among the leaves and stems were a number of insects, including this Seven-Spotted Ladybug (Coccinella septempunctata):

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for cataloguing the flora and fauna of Prague. I used your blog to identify some wildflowers I saw in Petrin last week (https://picasaweb.google.com/billklee/PragueSpring#5610690264922749298)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it was helpful to you. This year we're living in Vinohrady, so we don't get to walk on Petrin as often, but it's still one of my favorite places in Prague.

    ReplyDelete

“Edifice for the Unwanted" Sculpture at Tucson’s Los Reales Sustainability Campus Is an Artful Invitation to Learn About Our Landfill

  I live on the west side of Tucson near the section of Shannon Road that dead ends not far from a steep hill. Hiking websites say that the ...