Sunday, June 22, 2008

Grand Theft Ethanol


The new version of Grand Theft Auto gets attention because of its grim portrayal of city life, but some cities are experiencing a resurgence as people move back to cut fuel costs; anything that helps keep us from using food for fuel is to be applauded. [Click on the image to see a larger version of this cartoon. The text says: 'I live in the city, and when people see me on my bike, sometimes they ask me if my car was stolen, and I don't like to say I don't have a car because people think that's weird, so I change the subject and ask them if they play Grand Theft Auto, which I myself don't, but I do like that song in the commercials -- the one about living in the city and being out of control -- although that game does make the city seem pretty bleak, but I read that lots of people are starting to abandon the suburbs and move back into the cities because gas keeps going up and up, and this city is actually pretty safe, but when I park I take one wheel off my bike and carry it around with me so nobody can commit Not-So-Grand Theft Bicycle, and that's a small price to pay to be energy-efficient, and what's really out of control is that people are so addicted to cars they're willing to turn food, like corn, which both my gerbil and I love, into ethanol, because I think that using food for fuel is another kind of grand theft in this very hungry world.']

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Edifice for the Unwanted" Sculpture at Tucson’s Los Reales Sustainability Campus Is an Artful Invitation to Learn About Our Landfill

  I live on the west side of Tucson near the section of Shannon Road that dead ends not far from a steep hill. Hiking websites say that the ...