Thursday, September 11, 2008

Sarah Palin's Choices Don't Make Sense at Fashion Sense

Though Fashion Sense usually comments on celebrity antics, I think that the extensive tabloid coverage of Sarah Palin's family life qualifies her as a temporary celebrity. Her positions on family planning and wilderness protection are particularly troubling. [Click on the image for a larger version of this cartoon. The text reads: 'My neighbor was coming out of her house when I was on my way to visit my rescued Premarin mare, and before I could pretend I didn't see her, she shouted, "Hey! Did you hear the Republicans have a woman VP?" and I said, "I couldn't help but hear about it. Sarah Palin is all over the grocery store tabloids, like any other celebrity," and she said, "Isn't it great to have a woman running for such a high office?" and I didn't say anything, so she said, "She's a real woman, just like you and me," and I said, "Well, she isn't much like me because I don't like hunting," and she said, "It's a free country, and you don't have to hunt if you don't want to," and I said, "And I don't like fishing," and and she started to get that combative gleam in her eye, and she said, "Like I said, it's a free country, and you don't have to fish if you don't want to," and I said, "And I don't like guns," and she said, "And you don't have to have a gun if you don't want to," and I said, "And I don't want to have any kids," and she looked like she was running out of patience, and she said, "Well, you don't even have a boyfriend, do you? You don't have to have any kids if you don't want to," and I said, "My mare was forced to bear foal after foal so that she would continue to pee out hormones the drug companies needed, and I sympathize with any female forced to be pregnant," and my neighbor said, "You like to make everything unpleasant and complicated, don't you?" and I said, "Unwanted pregnancy is unpleasant and complicated, and according to what I've read, Sarah Palin is even against birth control pills," and my neighbor said, "I'm sure she wouldn't mind if you gave your horse birth control pills," and she stormed away before I could ask her if, in this free country, I would have to have drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge if I didn't want to. ']

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Edifice for the Unwanted" Sculpture at Tucson’s Los Reales Sustainability Campus Is an Artful Invitation to Learn About Our Landfill

  I live on the west side of Tucson near the section of Shannon Road that dead ends not far from a steep hill. Hiking websites say that the ...