Monday, March 23, 2009

Lentil Soup on a Snowy Day

Thursday morning when we woke up, it was snowing. That's not an unusual event in Central Europe, but Greg and I are acclimated to Tucson weather, so it seemed a little bleak. There was snow on Petrin Hill, and the sky was winter white. Greg took some pictures from our window:
The last time we saw snow was early in 2007. Here's a picture of our Tucson backyard from that time -- the picture's still on my computer because it was so unusual to see snow on palm trees:
By the time I was ready to walk up Petrin later that morning, most of the snow was gone, but the day was cold and damp. I decided to make some lentil soup for supper. In Tucson I always use organic produce and other foods, which I buy mostly from the Food Coop and occasionally from Whole Foods. Here I have to rely on the Country Life store (I also buy some items from the supermarket), and I sometimes have to choose between imported organic products and conventionally grown food from the Czech Republic. I decided that locally grown lentils trumped organics from China, so I bought the Czech lentils. I was able to buy organic Czech carrots, onions, and potatoes, and I bought some extra virgin Italian olive oil at the supermarket. Czech whole grain bread was a good accompaniment to the lentil soup, and we enjoyed our simple supper:

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Edifice for the Unwanted" Sculpture at Tucson’s Los Reales Sustainability Campus Is an Artful Invitation to Learn About Our Landfill

  I live on the west side of Tucson near the section of Shannon Road that dead ends not far from a steep hill. Hiking websites say that the ...