Friday, July 11, 2008

Katherine Hamnett's Organic Cotton T-Shirts with Progressive Slogans Make Fashion Sense



Designer Katherine Hamnett is making a comeback with her organic cotton T-shirts with progressive slogans on them. While the idea of an "ethical designer" is questionable in a world in which many people can't even afford food, the idea of organic cotton clothing made without sweatshop or child labor makes fashion sense to me. [Click on the image to see a larger version of this cartoon. The text says: 'I've always hated T-shirts, especially oversize T-shirts, and most especially oversize T-shirts with slogans on them, but Katharine Hamnett is making a comeback with her slogan T-shirts, which were big in the 80s, and even though the fashion industry is usually slow as my tortoise to adopt anything progressive, the fact that Sarah Jessica Parker wore a slogan T-shirt in the "Sex and the City" movie is proof of the trend, and there was recently an "annoying" slogan T-shirt fashion show in Australia as an anti-Pope protest ("The Pope is Wrong, Put a Condom On") before his visit there, and Hamnett also uses organic cotton in her shirts, which she says adds only 5% to the cost of the T-shirt but gives 50% more profits to poor farmers, so I bought this shirt with the slogan "Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve, Buy Organic Cotton," because I thought it was a Katherine Hamnett design, and then I found out it wasn't, so I was mad and I decided to give the T-shirt to my sister Gloria because she'll wear anything – she still has a mullet, if you can believe that -- and then I decided that I do like the slogan, so I'm wearing the T-shirt, but now my tortoise and I are in disguise because I don't want to admit to my friends that I paid designer prices for a cheap knock-off.']

2 comments:

  1. This is a funny blog post. We at 3 Clothing company appreciate pioneers like Katherine Hamnett. She has paved the way for organic clothing> companies around the world. Her thoughts of the use of organic cotton and child free labor are mirrored in our company. We feel that it shouldn't have to cost more to do the right thing. This is why we also support cotton farmers that are in transition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Organic clothing is produced without using any harmful chemical or bleaching agents and is allergy free. It has been considered as environment friendly. Organically raised cotton is soft and comfy. Organic T-shirts are quiet popular apparels for younger generation. The fabric is so comfortable that the users love to wear them.

    ReplyDelete

“Edifice for the Unwanted" Sculpture at Tucson’s Los Reales Sustainability Campus Is an Artful Invitation to Learn About Our Landfill

  I live on the west side of Tucson near the section of Shannon Road that dead ends not far from a steep hill. Hiking websites say that the ...