Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Getting an Earworm from the Torture Playlist


When I found out about the torture playlist used in American military prisons, I couldn't get some of the songs -- or the horrible images -- out of my head. [Click on the image for a larger version of the cartoon. The text reads: 'I’ve been doing some yoga to try to clear my mind so I can get rid of a song that keeps going through my head because I now know it’s on a torture playlist that interrogators use to disorient prisoners and cause sleep deprivation and cover the noise of the screams, and I love music, but I just feel sick when I think about that because I know what it’s like when those two guys that live in the apartment downstairs blast heavy metal until 2:00 in the morning, and I have been known to call the police, and when you remember that they forced Noriega to surrender by blaring music at him, you know what a powerful force it can be, and lately the cat has been acting offended as if to say "the Meow Mix jingle?” because that’s one of the tunes they used, and to top it all off one of the bands, Deicide says they’re proud that “F**k Your God” was used at Guantanamo, but “Raspberry Beret” is on that playlist and it happens to be one of my favorite songs, and now I can’t get it out of my head, and I wonder what Prince would say...']

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Edifice for the Unwanted" Sculpture at Tucson’s Los Reales Sustainability Campus Is an Artful Invitation to Learn About Our Landfill

  I live on the west side of Tucson near the section of Shannon Road that dead ends not far from a steep hill. Hiking websites say that the ...